Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fantasy World Creation Redux

Here is an older blog entry that I have dug up. I have started writing a lot more lately and wanted to bring all of my personal blog articles into one place. Without further ado, I present my thoughts on Fantasy World Design. I stopped blogging on this blog because my son developed cancer and I dropped off the face of the planet.

originally published on: 2/27/12 by me.

I sat back today and thought about what it means to be a fantasy author. That led to me thinking about what it means to be a comedic fantasy author. My stories have a certain Pratchett/Asprin/Piers Anthony feel to them. My wife seems to think they are most like Piers Anthony with plays on words and full of puns. I kind of agree. But When I thought about things for a bit I came to the conclusion that to be a fantasy author, your first and foremost job is to create a wondrous world where the reader can get away to and relax.

If you take a look at each of the greats of fantasy you arrive at a different and complete world. That is what distinguishes fantasy authors from each other. Their world. Sure Tolkien uses verbose and rich language while J. K. Rowling speaks to the average young adult. But their worlds are unique. C. S. Lewis goes so far as to have his world start in our own and enter a completely different one with different rules.

When you think of what makes up your fantasy setting, the first bit of architecture you need to lay down is what the rules are. I was forced to analyze that a bit today. I already have a few ideas of what my world should be like. But I set out today to hammer down as many of the rules of my world as possible. The premise of the Infinite Castle Series is simple. Take an enormous castle suspended in space. Fill it with every single fantasy idea ever made and make the rules as absurd as possible while retaining some semblance of cohesion. There you have the Infinite Castle. But the rules themselves, that's where the world building comes in. The premise is simple enough. It's what you would tell a publisher or a new reader if they asked you to sum up the world.

After you have the basic premise hammered out, you get specific. The Infinite Castle is a world of absurd literalness. It is a world where the college of wizardry is just that a college, complete with keg parties and hookah rooms. A world where every single thing in the world is named in accordance with rules set forth by a naming council, the Council of Nomialization. But those laws are a subject we will approach in a future blog post. And laws are to be followed, no matter how absurd. That absurdity is what sets the world apart from other fantasy worlds. That's what makes the Infinite Castle awesome.

What interesting laws/rules do you have in your fantasy world? Whether gaming or fiction related?



1 comments:

Unknown said...

I use to love mmo's but i don't get a chance to play anymore. Too busy with writing.

Post a Comment